Police have released the details of 21 people who were injured in an accident that claimed 16 others in the wee hours of Friday at Adebe trading center along Kampala-Gulu highway.
The accident occurred at midnight on 6th Jan 2023 when a bus Registration Number UAT 259P rammed into a Trailer Registration Number UAZ 381A/ UBD 318C Mercedes Benz Actros.
According to SP Patrick Jimmy Okema PRO-North Kyoga, the 16 dead bodies are yet to be identified as postmortem is being conducted, however the 21 injured have been identified;
1. Akello Mary Lucy 44 yrs old from Kitgum.
2. Auma Rose 47 yrs old from Kitgum.
3. Oyo Francis 38 yrs old from Lamwo.
4. Akanya Caroline 30 yrs old from Kitgum.
5. Alimo Nancy 20 yrs old from Kitgum.
6. Oluka Morris 28 yrs old from Gulu.
7. Acele Denis 43 yrs old from Kitgum.
8. Okwera David 35 yrs old from Kitgum.
9. Okecha Patrick 36 yrs old from Zombo.
10. Anyway Benson 55 yrs old from Pader.
11. Akello Flavia 32 yrs old from Kitgum.
12. Odur Albert 43 yrs old from Gulu.
13. Acaye Joseph 30 yrs old from Gulu.
14. Ayaa Beatrice 30 yrs old from Kitgum.
15. Agwech Kevin 34 yrs old from Kitgum.
16. Laker Christine 40 yrs old from Kitgum.
17. Nafuna Rehema Sarah 27 yrs old from Mukono.
18. Acen Proscivia 24 yrs old from Kitgum.
19. Not able to talk yet.
20. Not able to talk yet.
21. Not able to talk yet.
The cause of the accident is yet to be established but Okema says that preliminary findings indicate wrong parking by the trailer driver with no warning signs.
“It’s a very unfortunate incident, we call for calm from members of the public, our condolences to the bereaved families,” he said.